Monday, May 3, 2010

Coming back to the real world is SO hard after spending 2 weeks playing tourist in Italy! I think that I may have slept for the first 3 days. I kept hoping and hoping that there would be some sort of miracle and Eileen and I would be put in those large, plush, comfortable looking first class seats that I could see the corner of from my cramped and uncomfortable coach class seat. No such luck. I suppose we should just be thankful that we were able to fly home without any complications.
Traveling away from my comfort zone always gives me a fresh perspective on my world. I love the sense of adventure. You can pretend to be whatever you wish to be! I chose to be a movie star in Venice, a disciple of Jesus as I stood upon the Appian Way, a slave who worked countless hours to build giant bath houses for the rich folks of rome and one of the rich folks of Rome who enjoyed those bath houses. I spent a few moments imagining that I was Michelangelo painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, Julius Caesar ruling my Empire, and wondering if I could become the 2nd female gondolier of Venice.
At the end of each day, I was just happy to plain ole Alice enjoying the eye candy of Italy with 2 of her favorite traveling companions! Thank you to you two for putting up with me and treating me to 10 days of memories that I will treasure forever!
What greater thing is there for human souls than to feel that they are joined for life - to be with each other in silent unspeakable memories.

- George Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment