Tuesday, July 20, 2010

canned love

Ah, the good old summertime. Watermelons, squash, okra, figs, corn, and tomatoes.
There is nothing better on a cold winter day than a pot of vegetable soup made with a jar of fresh canned tomatoes. There is no comparison to the canned tomatoes that line the shelves at Publix. Not even the hoity toity Italian gourmet ones make a pot of soup or stewed tomatoes and rice like these! When I was little I thought that I hated tomato season cause we would spend hours and hours in the gosh awful cannery putting up what seemed like thousands of cans of soup mix and tomatoes and anything that a farm wife could come up with to stick in that can. Now days, I don't remember it quite the same. Days spent together making something to enjoy seems like such a joy.
Memories in a jar.
Jars packed so full of love and happiness that they almost explode. Hey, I think I may have figured out why that soup always tastes so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment